Thursday, November 18, 2010

Emotional Intelligence

Based on my self test and the speech given by Hank Weisinger, I feel that the top two areas that I need to improve on with my emotional intelligence are learning how to relax and making tasks underwhelming, not over whelming. I find that when I am in stressful situations I will tend to become very anxious or even panic. As Hank said in his speech, this has an effect on your health and productivity. I know that this is not the best technique for me to use and I really want to change how I deal with stress. I will try to follow the guidelines thank Hank gave in his speech. He said that you must practice relaxing so that it becomes something natural and easy for you to do. In order to practice relaxing you must have a quiet environment, be physically comfortable, have a key phrase or mental image to focus on, and have a passive attitude. I know that I definitely do not practice relaxing enough, so I plan to take 15 minutes out of every day to help me practice relaxing. This way I will be more comfortable and familiar with these methods and will be able to use them in stressful situations.
I also find that I make my tasks too overwhelming and try to take on too many things at once. Hank said that making tasks underwhelming will help you to feel a greater sense of accomplishment and will help you slowly set larger goals. I need to realize that I am only one person and that sometimes other people need to take on these tasks instead of me. I will make a conscious effort to no longer overwhelm myself, but underwhelm myself. If I use the above techniques I have described, I think I will be able to greatly improve my emotional intelligence.

No comments:

Post a Comment